John Flavel was an English Presbyterian clergyman and author. He was born at Bromsgrove, Worcestershire and studied at Oxford. Ordained as a Presbyterian in 1650, though later a Congregationalist, he held livings at Diptford (in Devon) and Dartmouth. He was ejected from the latter as a result of the Great Ejection of 1662; however, he continued to preach there secretly. After the Declaration of Indulgence 1687, he became a minister of a Nonconformist Church there. He died at Exeter, Devonshire, on 26 June 1691. [More via Wikipedia]
The Complete Works of John Flavel
Communion with Christ. (59 pages) [pdf epub mobi txt web via Internet Archive]
Part of a larger work entitled The Active Christian's Companion, containing mostly works by Samuel Shaw and a small 59 page treatise by John Flavel.
Divine Providence (or, The Mystery of Providence). (264 pages) [pdf epub mobi txt web via Internet Archive] -popular-
A Treatise on Keeping the Heart. (120 pages) [pdf epub mobi txt web via Internet Archive] Proverbs 4:23. -popular-
The Whole Works of John Flavel, Volume 1. (572 pages) [pdf epub mobi txt web via Internet Archive]
This volume contains a brief biography of Flavel's life, and The Fountain of Life Opened Up, which is a collection of 42 sermons comprising "a display of Christ in his essential and mediatorial glory."
The Whole Works of John Flavel, Volume 2. (620 pages) [pdf epub mobi txt web via Internet Archive]
Contains "The Method of Grace in Gospel-Redemption," a collection of 35 sermons, and "Pneumatologia" (or, "A Treatise on the Soul of Man").
The Whole Works of John Flavel, Volume 3. (620 pages) [pdf epub mobi txt web via Internet Archive]
1. Pneumatologia (or, A Treatise on the Soul of Man), continued from volume 2
2. A Practical Treatise of Fear
3. The Righteous Man's Refuge. Isaiah 26:20.
4. A Blow at the Root (or, The Causes and Cures of Mental Errors, or Planelogia)
5. Vindicairum Vindex (or, A Refutation of the Weak and Impertinent Rejoinder of Mr. Philip Cary, Wherein He Vainly Attempts the Defence of his Absurd Thesis to the Great Abuse and Injury of the Laws and Covenants of God)
6. Gospel Unity Recommended to the Churches of Christ. A sermon preached on 1 Corinthians 1:10.
The Whole Works of John Flavel, Volume 4. (598 pages) [pdf epub mobi txt web via Internet Archive]
1. England's Duty Under the Present Gospel-Liberty. Eleven sermons, plus anappendix, on Revelation 3:20.
2. Mount Pisgah (or, A Thanksgiving Sermon for England's Delivery from Popery). February 1688-1689. Deuteronomy 3:24-25.
3. Divine Conduct (or, The Mystery of Providence) -popular-
4. A Faithful and Succinct Narrative of Some Late and Wonderful Sea-Deliverances.
5. Antipharmacum Saluberrimum (or, A Serious and Seasonable Caveat to all the Saints in this Hour of Temptation).
6. Tidings from Rome (or, England's Alarm).
The Whole Works of John Flavel, Volume 5. (678 pages) [pdf epub mobi txt web via Internet Archive]
1. Husbandry Spiritualized (or, The Heavenly Use of Earthly Things).
2. Navigation Spiritualized (or, A New Compass for Seamen).
3. A Pathetical and Serious Dissuasive from the Horrid and Detestable Sins of Drunkenness, Swearing, Uncleanness, Forgetfulness of Mercies, Violations of Promises, and Atheistical Contempt of Death.
4. The Seaman's Companion, consisting of six sermons for seafaring men:
a. The Seaman's Farewell. Acts 21:5-6.
b. The Seaman in a Storm. Psalm 107:23-28.
c. The Seaman's Preservative in Foreign Countries. Psalm 139:9-10.
d. The Successful Seaman. Deuteronomy 8:17-18.
e. The Disappointed Seaman. Luke 5:5.
f. The Seaman's Return. Deuteronomy 33:19.
5. A Saint Indeed (or, The Great Work of a Christian Opened and Pressed).
Proverbs 4:23. Also known by the modernised title, Keeping the Heart. -popular-
6. The Touchstone of Sincerity (or, The Signs of Grace, and Symptoms of Hypocrisy).
Revelation 3:17-18. -popular-
7. A Token for Mourners (or, The Advice of Christ to a Distressed Mother Bewailing
the Death of Her Dear and Only Son). Luke 7:13.
The Whole Works of John Flavel, Volume 6. (662 pages) [pdf epub mobi txt web via Internet Archive]
1. Preparations for Sufferings (or, The Best Work in the Worst Times). Acts 21:13.
2. The Balm of the Covenant Applied to the Bleeding Wounds of Afflicted Saints. 2 Samuel 23:5.
3. The Funeral Sermon of John Upton of Lupton, Esq. 2 Chronicles 35:24-25.
4. An Exposition of the Assembly's Catechism.
5. Vidiciae Legis et Foederis (or, A Reply to Mr. Philip Cary's Solemn Call; Wherein He Pretends to Answer all the Arguments of Mr. Allen, Mr. Baxter, Mr. Syndenham, Mr. Sedgwick, Mr. Roberts, and Dr. Burthogge, For the Right of Believers' Infants to Baptism).
6. (Twelve) Sacramental Meditations Upon Diverse Select Places of Scripture.
7. The Reasonableness of Personal Reformation and the Necessity of Conversion.
8. A Coronation Sermon Preached at Dartmouth. Song of Solomon 3:11.
9. The Character of a Complete Evangelical Pastor, Drawn by Christ. Matthew 24:45-47.
10. A Double Scheme or Table.